Visa Related Service

Home > Students > Visa Related Service

Student visa conditions

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) is the Australian Government department which manages everything relating to your student visa. You must make  sure you meet  the conditions of your visa. There may also be special conditions for students on scholarships.
Make sure you read and understand all the conditions of your scholarship to ensure you comply, or else your visa may be cancelled and you may be deported.


Your visa conditions are set out in the letter of approval you receive with your visa or on your visa label. It is important that you are familiar with these conditions and follow them. Every year, a number of students abuse the law by, for example, working longer hours than permitted by their visa or overstaying their visa.

If you break your conditions, your visa may be cancelled and you may be required to leave Australia. You may also be prevented from returning to Australia for three years after your visa is cancelled.

If your circumstances change and you want  to change your course or provider, or you wish to stay longer, you should contact  your nearest DIBP office for advice on how to make these arrangements. It is also important that you ensure your visa does not expire while you are in Australia. If you remain in Australia for more  than 28 days after your student visa expires without obtaining a new  one, you may be prevented from returning for three years.
If you need help understanding any of these conditions contact  DIBP.

Extending your visa

If your student visa expires before you have finished your course of study, you will need to apply for a new  one at your local immigration office OR at the visa section at the Australian Mission or Embassy in your home  country. Further  information is available on the DIBP website at