Coronavirus FAQ

Home > Australia > Coronavirus FAQ

Advice for ATMC students about coronavirus COVID-19  and online delivery of courses

Below are some frequently asked questions (FAQs) about the novel coronavirus COVID-19.

These FAQs will be updated as the situation evolves.  

I need information and assistance, whom should I contact?

Students who require assistance or information can receive support and advice by calling our student support services teams.

ATMC Students (including PY)
Phone:+ 61 4 8880 5001 Student support services line - 7 days from 8:30am to 8:30pm AEST
India (local call):  +91 880 055 9609 24/7 student support services line - 7 days from 4am to 4:30pm IST

Baxter Institute (monitored 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday)
Phone: + 61 3 9650 0367

Additional information is available from: 
Australian Department of Health
NSW Health
Victorian Department of Health and Human Services
Study in Australia
VEVO (Visa check)  


Pandemic Event Visa information  

  • Australian Government introduces new visa option - the COVID-19 Pandemic event visa, available under subclass 408.
  • The purpose of the new visa option is to provide a pathway for certain former and current holders of temporary visas to lawfully remain in Australia and to also address the workforce shortages in critical areas like agriculture, aged care and public health during the COVID-19 pandemic.This visa will allow applicants to remain in Australia if they have no other visa options and are unable to depart due to travel restrictions.

  • The Department of Home Affairs (DoHA) has stated ‘the COVID-19 Pandemic event visa is only available to people who are onshore and have 28 days or less remaining on their current visa or where their last substantive visa has expired up to 28 days previously.’
  • There is no charge for this visa, it's free. More information here and here

COVID-19 Impacted Student Visa

I cannot complete my course in the time-frame stated on my visa. Can I get an extension? How do I apply for this? 

The Department of Home Affairs is implementing a range of visa changes to support International students. 

Students who held a student visa on or after 1 February 2020 and have not been able to complete their course within their original visa validity due to the impacts of COVID-19.

A help sheet to support students though this process. To view the help sheet, click here 

To submit a valid Student visa application eligible for a nil fee, students must submit a completed Form 1545 COVID-19 Impacted Student via Student Support Services under the 'under the Course Advice and Enrolment Team category. This form will then be sent to the University for signature. Once the university has signed the form, this will be sent back to you for lodgement through your ImniAccount. 

Information for students who are unable to enter Australia

I am outside of Australia and unable to enter the country. I have a Confirmation of Enrolment and would like to start my course. What should I do? 

  • Students (excluding professional year students) currently offshore who hold a visa and a Confirmation of Enrolment can enrol online.
  • We will transition you to an online learning module allowing you to commence or continue your studies
  • For information and assistance please use the contact information at the top of this page.
  • More detailed information about this service will be provided shortly.

I am a commencing student, what will happen if I defer or suspend? Will be I able to get an extension to my CoE?

Commencing Students unable to return to Australia, may choose to defer their studies. This will not affect your visa status, but your Confirmation of Enrolment will be cancelled, and you will need a new offer from your education provider before a new Confirmation of Enrolment is issued. 

Please note, to gain entry to Australia you require both a current Confirmation of Enrolment and visa.

If you are unable to enter Australia, you may enrol online and commence or continue your studies online.  

If your visa was granted before 1 February 2020 and you are affected by current Australian Government travel restrictions, you can check the status of your visa at Visa Entitlement on VEVO. 

If your visa was granted after 1 February 2020 and you are affected by current Australian Government travel restrictions, you will not be able to check your visa details and conditions using Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) until the restrictions are lifted. You should refer to your visa grant letter or access your ImmiAccount instead.

Is program leave is available for continuing students?

If you have questions about program leave and your COE and visa, Baxter Institute students please email or if you are an ATMC student email

Campus information, course delivery and library services 

Are campuses closed? 

  • Given the recent updates to self-isolation requirements, no classes will be delivered on campus until further notice. 
  • All pre-enrolment and course orientation activities for this weekend in Sydney have been postponed.
    All enrolled students for this weekend’s intake (NSW) have already received notification of change. Please use the contact details provided above if you require more information. 
  • We encourage students to engage with us online wherever possible.
  • Online delivery of Federaton University courses will commence on 30 March, 2020.
  • Federation University students were sent an email with instructions on how to access online courses 
  • Online delivery of University of the Sunshine Coast courses will commence on Monday 6 April. An email advising how to access online courses via the Learning Portal will be sent on Wednesday 1 April. View email

How do I access the online learning module when classes move to online delivery. 

  • ATMC has developed an online learning portal.
  • Please ensure you have read the instruction manual and watched the videos so that you can be ready for class.
  • You can also visit for user guides, information and instruction videos on how to access and use the portal. 
  • You will need your Student ID number, Your username/email address and (for returning students) your usual password. If you can't remember your password, please lodge a ticket with our help desk and they'll provide you with a new password. 
  • If you are a new student and don't have a password, please lodge a ticket with our helpdesk  and a password will be provided. Please include your name, course and student ID number and email.
  • Online delivery of courses will commence on 30 March, 2020 for Federation University Students.
  • Online delivery of courses of USC students commences 6 April, 2020. 

I don't have access to WiFi or a laptop. How will I be able to join the online classes?

  • Please get in touch with us using the details at the top of the page for information on leasing laptops, dongles and WiFi plans. 

Are library staff available to help me even though there are no classes on campus? 

We can provide assistance with the following:

  • Assessment help
  • Finding resources online 
  • Proof-reading your assessments
  • General library inquiries

Sydney and Melbourne students, please contact Librarian Candis Diaz via email: on Mondays and Tuesdays for assistance.

Federation University students may also contact:

University of the Sunshine Coast University students may also contact:

I had paid to attend an event or workshop at ATMC. This event is now cancelled. Will I get a refund?

  • ATMC events and workshops will be cancelled until further notice.
  • If you have left a deposit with reception, please be assured that your deposit will be refunded, when normal classes resume. 

Professional Year Students

Further to COVID-19 outbreak, we have taken the steps to suspend all on campus PY teaching activity across our ATMC Australian campuses until further notice.  Instead of classes on campus we are now transitioning to deliver all PY classes online through Microsoft Teams. Further technical details will be sent to you via email shortly.

I am enrolled in the Professional Year program but I am unable to enter Australia. Can I continue my studies online?
At this stage DHA advises that there is no allowance for students for students to undertake the Professional Year program from outside Australia. DHA has not given approval for current students to study while overseas, or for potential students to enrol in the program while overseas. 

Student support services will remain open via online channels (see below). Due to the expected large call volumes, we encourage you to raise an online (email) enquiry in the first instance. 

ATMC PY Melbourne
ATMC PY Sydney

Please stay informed by frequently monitoring the updates on:

or Call the National Coronavirus Health Information Line on 1800 020 080

My internship provider closed for business. What should I do?

Please contact your internship placement consultant for advice and support. 

Melb  - Kathy Le-Ung         0487 257 939   Internship Team Leader
Melb -Yunnan Lobo            0476 319 287
Melb - Nathalia Jimenez    0460 948 256
Syd -   Catalina Ugas           0476 546 094
Syd -  Shaloo Sobti             0460 940 167
Syd -  Diana Huynh            0475 204 282

Your physical health and emotional wellbeing

How do I need to access food support services.

New South Wales
Emergency food assistance is available for international students in Sydney. Please see this list of Study NSW resources for details of food and non-perishable grocery supplies as well as restaurants providing free student meals.

Study NSW has partnered with Foodbank NSW & ACT to provide free food hampers* to international students in NSW
International students can access their hamper by following these steps:
1. Call Food Bank on (02) 9756 3099
2. State that you are an international student and your suburb, then ask for the distribution point closest to you
3. Have your student visa and student card with you when you collect the hamper.

Local councils across Melbourne and Victoria have developed resources that link community members with information about food relief and support services available during this pandemic. Please visit the page below for food support locations.


Where do I download the Australian Government's COVIDSafe app?

The COVIDSafe app app is designed t slow the spread of COVID-19 allowing the government to contain outbreaks quickly means governments can ease restrictions while still keeping Australians safe. The new COVIDSafe app is completely voluntary. Downloading the app is something you can do to protect you, your family and friends and save the lives of other Australians. The more Australians connect to the COVIDSafe app, the quicker we can find the virus.
Download in itunes | Download in Google Play

What are the symptoms of Coronavirusof COVID-19?

  • Symptoms can include fever, cough, shortness of breath and breathing difficulties.
  • Those considered at high risk may have travelled from China recently or been in contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19.

The Health Department advises that individuals who have travelled from overseas in the 14 days before the onset of symptoms (fever, acute respiratory infection e.g. shortness of breath or cough) seek medical attention. 

What should I do if I am feeling unwell?

  • If you feel unwell or are concerned about your health during office housrs (9am to 5pm weekdays) contact a GP or a health professional. We suggest you call ahead, explaining your symptoms and travel history, rather than attend in person.
  • If you are feeling unwell, isolate yourself in a room away from others and seek urgent medical assessment.
  • Remain in isolation while waiting for results of the assessment.
  • Health authorities are advising individuals who have travelled from overseas in the 14 days before the onset of symptoms (fever, acute respiratory infection e.g. shortness of breath or cough) to seek medical attention.
  • Please inform student support services about your illness using the contact details at the top of the page. If you need assistance, we are here to help you.

Whom should I call for medical attention if I am feeling unwell outside of business hours?   

  • Call the 24/7 National Coronavirus Health Information Line on 1800 020 080 for further instructions.
  • If you live in NSW please call your local Public Health Unit 1300 066 055.
  • Overseas students can call the Medibank OSHC Health and Support Line on 1800 887 283. Medibank has provided updated information to all nursing staff who take calls.
  • Victorian Health Dept. has a free 24-hour helpline, Nurse On Call 1300 60 60 24. Registered nurses are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to provide advice. (*Calls are free from a landline; charges may apply from a mobile phone.)
  • Please inform student support services about your illness using the contact details at the top of the page. If you need assistance, we are here to help you. 

I need medical assistance for Coronavirus COVID-19, but I do not have Medicare. What happens if I need to go to hospital?  

  • International students that are not eligible for Medicare are required to have private health insurance.
  • Please check your coverage with your health insurance provider.
  • For those that do not have adequate insurance coverage, NSW Health and Victorian Health and Human Services will waive these costs associated with treatment of Coronavirus COVID-19.
  • This includes the waiving of payment and debt recovery procedures for ambulance transfers of people suspected to have COVID-19 infection, who are taken to NSW Health or Victorian facilities for assessment.
  • These arrangements have been put in place by to ensure payment issues are not a barrier for people from overseas with respiratory symptoms seeking early medical advice.
  • Let ATMC know if you test positive for COVID-19 - we can support you through your recovery. 


Links to Health Insurance Providers for more informaton on coverage and services.

Medibank Private:


Do I need to wear a face mask? 

  • Face masks are now mandatory in Victoria.
  • People who have symptoms and might be infected with COVID-19 are required to stay in isolation at home and should wear a surgical face mask when in the same room as another person and when seeking medical advice to reduce the risk of transmitting COVID-19 to anyone else.
  • Health care workers who are caring for patients with suspected COVID-19 should use appropriate personal protective equipment to protect themselves against COVID-19.


Social distancing 

Social distancing requirements for Victorian residents moved to stage four on 2 August. 

  • A state of disaster has been declared in Victoria and Melbourne moves into stage four restrictions.
  • Supermarkets and basic food and beverage retailers will not be affected.
  • Melbourne will be under a curfew from 8pm to 5am every day for the next six weeks.
  • Only one person per household will be allowed to go shopping per day.
  • People cannot travel more than 5km from their house.
  • Exercise is limited to one hour a day and capped at two people.
  • Night Network will be suspended, and public transport services will be reduced during curfew hours.
  • Study at TAFE and uni must be done remotely.
  • Face coverings will continue to be compulsory 

NSW social distancing requirements

Take these important steps to keep yourself and others safe.

  • Wash your hands often and thoroughly with soap and water or an alcohol-based hand sanitiser.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
  • Keep a distance of 1.5 metres between yourself and other people.
  • Do not shake hands, hug or kiss as a greeting.
  • Get a seasonal flu shot.
  • Avoid visiting vulnerable people, such as those in aged care facilities or hospitals, infants, or people with compromised immune systems.
  • If possible, use debit and credit cards instead of cash and make use of online and self-serve transactions.
  • If you do have symptoms, get tested and stay at home.
  • If you test positive, please notify ATMC so that we can support you through your recovery. 


  • Returned travellers who arrive in Australia after 15 March and before 29 March from any overseas location should self-isolate for 14 days.
  • People returning to Australia from 29 March will be quarantined in a hotel or designated facility for 14 days
  • Anyone who has had close contact with a confirmed novel coronavirus case must self-isolate for 14 days following exposure.

    Close contact is defined as requiring: 
  • greater than 15 minutes face-to-face contact in any setting with a confirmed case in the period extending from 24 hours before onset of symptoms in the confirmed case, or 
  • sharing of a closed space with a confirmed case for a prolonged period (e.g. more than 2 hours) in the period extending from 24 hours before onset of symptoms in the confirmed case.
  • The Australian Government requires anyone who has been to mainland China, Iran, Italy and South Korea to self-isolate for 14 days after their return to Australia. 
  • If you are required to self-isolate, we are here to support you if you need assistance with accommodation and transfers. Your health is our primary concern and we will support you to continue with your studies through self-isolation. Please get in touch with student support using the contact information at the top of this page if you need assistance.

What are the penalties if I do not self-isolate?

Self-isolation is an effective precautionary measure to protect those around you – your family, friends, colleagues – from contracting COVID-19. Police are spot-checking the homes of recently returned travellers and there are serious penalties for non-compliance. Penalties for individuals include a fine of up to $1K -$50K (depending on the state) and up to six months imprisonment. If you need assistance to self-isolate, please get in touch with student support using the contact information at the top of this page.

Whom should I contact if I am feeling depressed or anxious about my circumstances?

It is completely understandable to have feelings of anxiety or depression in these difficult times. Without the support networks of family and friends, the current situation may be extremely challenging for an international student. ATMC has professional counsellors available to support and advise you if you are finding it difficult to manage the pressures and stress of this situation.  Please reach out to student services via the contact details above and we will arrange counselling and ensure you receive the assistance you need.

You can also arrange for free and confidential counselling with Cyber Clinic. Please login to the student portal using your atmc email for information on accessing this service. Mandarin and Hindi-speaking counsellors are available. 


Financial options 

I am now unemployed due to the Coronavirus shutdown. I cannot pay my rent and my landlord wants to evict me. What should I do?

The Australian Government requires that all evictions be put on hold for six months across all states and territories. The details of how this will work are to be finalised, and we will update you when additional information is provided. If you are asked to leave your accommodation because you cannot pay your rent, contact student support services for advice and assistance.

Employment updates

  • International students are able to work up to 40 hours per fortnight.
  • International students working in aged care and as nurses have had these hours extended to support these critical sectors.
  • International students working in the major supermarkets had also had these hours extended to help get stock on shelves during the high demand. From 1 May, hours will return to the maximum 40 hours a fortnight. 

Accessing your superannuation

  • Students who have been here longer than 12 months who find themselves in financial hardship will be able to access their Australian superannuation. Apply at the myGov website from April 20.

Tution fee relief for Federation University students

  • Federation University will provide assistance to support eligible students studying on-shore through in Melbourne and Sydney, who have been impacted by a reduced income due to reduction in or loss of employment as a result of the impacts of COVID-19.
  • To access the application form you must log out of your ATMC MS Teams account and login to your Federation University account using your Federation University email and password. Apply now 

Working for Victoria jobs programAnchor

  • International students based in Melbourne may apply for jobs with the Working for Victoria program.The Victorian Government has also partnered with Sidekicker to match potential applicants with work aligned to their skills and experience. 

International student Emergency relief fundAnchor

  • The Victorian Government's International Student Emergency Relief Fund will provide a payment of up to A$1,100 for international students who have lost their job or had a significant reduction to their employment and are facing financial hardship as a result of coronavirus (COVID-19). Register your interest >


ATMC Students (including PY)
Email: (Monday to Friday 9am-5pm AEDT)
Phone:+ 61 4 8880 5001 student support services line 8am to 8:30pm AEST
India (local call):  +91 880 055 9609 student support services line 4am to 4:30pm IST

Baxter Institute (monitored 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday)
Phone: + 61 3 9650 0367

 If you are in financial distress or need assistance of any kind, please contact our student support services: