How to Apply - Charles Darwin University

Home > Apply > How to Apply > Charles Darwin University > Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Who is an international student?

An international student is one who is not an Australian citizen, permanent resident of Australia, or a New Zealand citizen, and is enrolled or proposes to enrol at an Australian institution. Temporary residents of Australia and permanent residents of New Zealand are classified as international students.

What type of  Visa do I need?

For all visa enquiries and applications, please contact your local Australian Embassy, High Commission or Diplomatic Mission.

What is Streamlined Visa Processing (SVP)?

The SVP provides a quicker visa process for eligible Universities, such as CDU.

Student visa applicants must satistfy both the GTE (Genuine Temporary Entrant) and the Genuine Student criteria.

How do I apply to CDU?

Applications must be submitted through the University's online application system. A completed application includes the application form together with supporting documentation.

If you are using an agent to assist you in your application they may submit the application online on your behalf.
What documentation do I need to apply?

You must submit the following documents with your online application:

• Copy of passport showing personal details (if available)
• Proof of English language proficiency
• Certified copies of all transcripts of results, award certificates, grading systems and English translation
• Statement of Purpose
• Financial Declaration and/or Evidence of Finances
• A detailed copy of your resume/CV

In the first instance students should scan certified copies of these documents and submit them with the application form. A Justice of the Peace, a Notary Public or similar government official or a CDU authorised agent are all able to certify documents on behalf of CDU. Once your application is assessed CDU will advise if you need to submit a hard copy of the certified document.

If you are waiting for transcripts or results certificates, you can still submit an application with a note advising when results are likely to be available. Additional documents can be uploaded to your application when you receive them.

How is my application assessed?

CDU's International Admissions assesses whether applicants meet admission criteria for entry to a course, and in accordance with DIBP's GTE and GS criteria. The Head of School or a delegate decide whether or not an applicant is to be admitted. Meeting the minimum entry requirements for a course does not guarantee an offer to study at the University.

How much does it cost to study in Australia?

You need funds for your tuition fees for the full duration of study, and living cost of $19,830 p.a. as recommended DIBP.

Can I work and study?

The conditions of your student visa allow you to work 40 hours per fortnight during term and full time in vacation. The DIBP website has information on student visa conditions.

Can I work when I graduate?

The Australian Government offers Post Study Work Rights (PSWR) to students granted a visa from November 2011. Details are available at:


Apply Now Online >